Thursday, November 27, 2008

Our Ultimate Destiny


There are big shots and then there are the wee ones. This world is just a preparatory stage for the Olam Haba, the world to come.

For those of us with no stature in society, with a deep hunger for Torah, we see the True Treasure every day. I love the Modeh Ani. I look out the window at the pink sky, and thank God for another opportunity to work on my character. My desire to prove anything about myself is based solely on my knowledge of how the decision will impact Hashem. Without a glimmer of audacity and assumption, I know I know very little and deserve even less.

This world and all its enticements looks to me like a Styrofoam display cake in a bakery or a wax sample meal on at a restaurant. Underneath it all you know that meal you actually get is not so perfect and that you've somehow been had. With Torah, every taste is delectable and makes you want more and more.

One thing I have learned is that when I stand before the Beis Din Shamala, there are going to be things I thought I had in the bag, and then the details will show me how I was absolutely clueless.

No comments: