Monday, October 13, 2008

Rav Dessler Interesting Insights I





Rav Dessler



Rabbi Eliyahu E. Dessler
Strive For The Truth/Feldheim Publishers
Michtav M'Eliyahu.

Volume I part I

Rav Dessler:

Death brings no fundamental change to the human personality. The characteristics we either worked on or didn't work on survive the bodies death and are the basis of future experiences in the World to Come.
*************************************************************
MH:

Can you imagine the implications of this situation?
*************************************************************

I am so amazed when I think of the road I have traveled. I used to think that my character was immutable, as if I were stamped out of iron and that was that. Even iron can be melted and reshaped, but that wasn't the way I envisioned who and what I was.

Then after many years of Torah and learning like that of Rav Dessler, I found out that my purpose was to correct flawed character traits. Believe me, there are some dastardly traits that have been seemingly impossible for me to battle. Dastardly is a great descriptive, because the only reason it was a battle was because I was too cowardly to fight them.

I used to lie like a rug because I was embarrassed of my own self-conception. Then I learned that these images and faults have a purpose and that purpose is action to prove sincerity. I don't lie at all anymore. I even correct myself in public if I stretch the truth.

Now, learning the above, I realize the benefits of non-negotiable Truth. Great Rabbis have access to a great storehouse of knowledge which is applicable to every possible situation that comes down the pike. It is Torah.

This accumulation of wisdom shed great light on our own obscurity. R' Dessler "Everything falls into place with the utmost precision, as befits the absolute Truth." This is why in retrospect we with foresight are able to see why certain things occurred as they did in our lives. With this wisdom we can see difficulties melt away.

There will be times, there have been a few in my life, where no matter how hard I tried I couldn't understand the extent of the difficulty. Rav Dessler "The part can bear witness to the whole."

Clarity emerges from Torah, and with great difficulty (hard work) sometimes we can reveal the depth of many problems. Even though the whole understanding may elude us, there is a sense of confidence in Hashem, that knows it will work out for the best. Gamzu l'Tova (Nachum of Gamzu) was a man who believed even though his body was broken and his skin was raw flesh, he believed completely.

Until next time, Baruch Hashem.

No comments: